I met our neighbour Claude earlier. I told him I was gathering blackberries (again!) and he said it had been a very bad year for them. Strange, I thought. Oh, he said, the wild ones are very poor this year. Round the corner I then found a load of the juiciest, plumpest blackberries you can imagine! So either French blackberries are usually very much superior to ours, or Claude doesn't see what's in front of his eyes!
The French are very much into preserving stuff - you can get special offers on Kilner jars at the local shops - but we haven't seen anyone picking blackberries. However, it is now the start of the mushroom season, so you see cars parked near woods, and people disappearing like Little Red Riding Hood with their baskets, to collect the champignons. We're not great at identifying them, so unless they're field mushrooms, puff balls or parasols, we leave well alone.
No comments:
Post a Comment