Sunday, 4 September 2011

Between visitors

It's fairly quiet in the house this weekend, as we're between visitors.  The Andersons headed south yesterday morning and Joan arrives tomorrow.  So just about time to change the bedding and wash the towels and bake a cake!  (Now that I've got Sally's chocolate cake recipe right - the first time I used ten times the amount of cocoa, having copied down the recipe wrongly...)

As we're nowhere near a road (the hamlet is effectively a cul-de-sac), quiet here really can be very quiet, so you can hear the sounds of the house and the countryside, which ranges from a wide variety of birdsong, insect buzzing, cows, hens, goats, tractors, mowers and occasional hammering from Claude's barn.  The thunder occasionally rumbles around, usually at night, and sometimes we hear distant thuds from the military camp at La Courtine, but that seems fairly rare these days. I can only recall hearing it once all summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment